Friday, December 18, 2009

Look At What I Got Today!

I have been waiting for about 3 years to finish this fireplace. It was just something that didn't HAVE to be done. More of a luxury...and I had to look at the blank wall everyday because it is in the living room, right off the foyer. Now we are finally finishing it!
It was too far gone to use as a wood-burning fireplace. Not lined and bricks were crumbling AND the chimney is located inside the house. We do not have natural gas, so that was not an option. So I found an electric insert that was pretty cheap (not shown in the photo) that was already in a tiny moveable fireplace. We just have to take it out and put it in here.
I had been looking for a mantle for quite a while. I even had plans to make one. Here it is--from the Seasons of Cannon Falls Idea house. (Photo from Home Companion Magazine, Dec/Jan 2008.) On a side note about the house renovation -- I based a lot of what I did in my house on the Seasons of Cannon Falls River House. This book was so helpful. I practically have my copy worn out!

But I happened along this mantle while at the local antique shop. The price wasn't bad, but I wasn't sure it was what I really wanted. So I kept it in the back of my mind.
I found the cast-iron surround on eBay for $40. I love it, but the dimensions are different than those that were listed in the auction, so it is a pretty tight fit with the insert...we'll have to see what can be done with it.
I finally decided that it would be easier if I bought the mantle since the one I wanted was a lot of work with all the trim to cut. So I went today to the shop hoping that they would still have it. And they did, and ON SALE!!

The mantle is from a 1890's farmhouse in Ohio. It has been mostly stripped of all the paint. I'm not sure if I want to repaint it or leave it as is. What do you think? (That's Max the wonderdog in the photo.) And the best part? It was only $100!
The hearth area will be done in Carrera marble. I am thinking about using the same marble in subway tile size or this tile as the surround tile.
I really like the finger tile, but I'd have to order them. The subway tile are in stock at Home Depot. May just go with those. Hopefully it will get done this weekend so we have somewhere to hang our stockings!

Here is a little project I did the other day. The snowflakes are styrofoam from Michaels. On clearance for $1.49 for two. I then covered them with Mod Podge and glitter. I love the Martha Stewart Snow glitter (used my 40% off coupon). Then I hung them from fishing wire and the branch was one I cut from the yard. (Ignore the unpainted trim!) It sits on top of my TV armoire.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment: